Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home3/loanuniv/public_html/forums/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home3/loanuniv/public_html/forums/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home3/loanuniv/public_html/forums/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home3/loanuniv/public_html/forums/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home3/loanuniv/public_html/forums/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home3/loanuniv/public_html/forums/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home3/loanuniv/public_html/forums/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home3/loanuniv/public_html/forums/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home3/loanuniv/public_html/forums/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home3/loanuniv/public_html/forums/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home3/loanuniv/public_html/forums/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
Loans for foreigners - LoanUniverse Community

Jump to content


Loans for foreigners


7 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Aussie_*

  • Guests

Posted 06 November 2004 - 05:03 AM

Forgive me if this one has come up before and my search failed to find it.

I am Australian and neither a US resident nor a US citizen. I own a multifamily in NY and am buying more, cash. I want to refinance, preferably to about 80% LVT and preferably not at penalty interest rates or with huge fees. I'd then go out and buy more, as I'm starting to run out of cash. I don't mind leaving 20% hurt money in. The properties have net rental rates of around 30% of the gross purchase price and I calculate that expenses, including contingencies, should be about 50% of the income before debt servicing and tax.

However, I find that US banks are far les interested in investment property than Australian ones, and especially don't want to deal with foreigners (who aren't eligible for a social security number). I know of others in the same boat and some good clear advice on who is prepared to do business, and how I can attract loans (but not sharks) would be truly welcome.

Bob

#2 loanuniverse

    Administrator

  • Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,251 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 06 November 2004 - 10:47 AM

”… However, I find that US banks are far les interested in investment property than Australian ones, and especially don't want to deal with foreigners (who aren't eligible for a social security number). I know of others in the same boat and some good clear advice on who is prepared to do business, and how I can attract loans (but not sharks) would be truly welcome…..”

The banking environment has made it more difficult to deal with foreign investors than before. We certainly have to do a lot more background checks and keep more information about customers. This might turn off some bankers from working with foreigners.

However, there are good reasons why bank lenders do not like to lend to foreigners. The main one in my opinion is that our guarantor is outside our reach in case that the credit goes bad. The second one is that the lender can not review the guarantor’s credit history as readily as they can a US based guarantor. Finally, It is difficult to check the veracity of the personal financial statements. If I have a guarantor telling me that he owns a house worth a million dollars, and this house is one block away from mine then I know he is mistaken. How do I know what those assets are worth in Sidney?

Nevertheless, I see loans to foreigners all the time. One thing that would help would be if the owner of the property were a US based company. This way that company could apply for a FEI#. Not sure how that would affect your tax liability, you need to check with an accountant.

Frankly, the US dollar is so cheap that it might really be worth it to get this sorted out. Essentially, you need to talk to lenders in the area that you want to buy and see what it is that they would be comfortable with. Have you been buying the properties with cash? Twenty percent might be too low in your case; the lender might want to mitigate the guarantee problem with a lower loan-to-value.

Good luck

#3 Aussie

    Summer Intern

  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 November 2004 - 03:49 PM

Thanks for that.

I actually was buying as an LLC registered in NV, with an EIN, certificates of good standing and registered to trade in NY. Most lenders asked me to buy in my personal name instead! They didn't want to deal with an LLC. I couldn't do it as a C-Corp, becuase otherwise I'd face dual taxation, effectively equivalent to about 75%.

I understand the difficulties lenders face - it appears my credit in the US would be the same if I were a bankrupt in Australia or if I owned a swag of properties (the latter actually being the case).

I was hoping to find - or find a way to locate - lenders who would lend against the collateral value of the properties, the very high cashflow out of them etc, and treat the nature of any guaranty I offered as a secondary item.

Aussie

#4 Commercial Lender

    Sr. Credit Analyst

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 218 posts
  • Location:New York

Posted 26 November 2004 - 12:34 AM

Do you own a residential or commercial (5+) multifamily?

#5 Aussie

    Summer Intern

  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 November 2004 - 01:16 PM

QUOTE(Commercial Lender @ Nov 26 2004, 12:34 AM)
Do you own a residential or commercial (5+) multifamily?

Resiential - I own one 4 -unit and will close on a duplex next week. I have 6 other duplexes lined up, but the vendors' attorney's have not yet done the surveys.

#6 Commercial Lender

    Sr. Credit Analyst

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 218 posts
  • Location:New York

Posted 26 November 2004 - 09:21 PM

If you currently own it under a NV Corp with a majority Share who provided the perosnal gurantee when you bought it? I know that we drop the LTV and usually increase the rate by 100bps anytime there is a foreign national involved.

#7 Guest_Guest_*

  • Guests

Posted 11 November 2005 - 04:47 PM

I deal with foreigners all of the time. You shoudn't have any problem getting a loan with World Savings, especially if you are only financing 80%ltv



QUOTE(Aussie @ Nov 6 2004, 05:03 AM)
Forgive me if this one has come up before and my search failed to find it.

I am Australian and neither a US resident nor a US citizen.  I own a multifamily in NY and am buying more, cash.  I want to refinance, preferably to about 80% LVT and preferably not at penalty interest rates or with huge fees.  I'd then go out and buy more, as I'm starting to run out of cash.  I don't mind leaving 20% hurt money in.  The properties have net rental rates of around 30% of the gross purchase price and I calculate that expenses, including contingencies, should be about 50% of the income before debt servicing and tax.

However, I find that US banks are far les interested in investment property than Australian ones, and especially don't want to deal with foreigners (who aren't eligible for a social security number).  I know of others in the same boat and some good clear advice on who is prepared to do business, and how I can attract loans (but not sharks) would be truly welcome.

Bob

View Post





#8 pennykitty

    Full-Time Teller

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 18 December 2005 - 01:39 AM

If this reply is not too late - try Indymac, they will loan to Aussies, though not sure of about the 6 unit, they do sfr n/o/o and up to 4 unit.





1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users